Friday, April 15, 2005

Am I mistaken or booker winners are generally CRAP???

First booker prize winner I read was God of Small Things. I read it till end just because it was a booker prize winner.
I got bored.
Fine. Maybe thats the way intellectuals think. I still remember how bored I got reading Fountainhead when I was around 12, but read it though, as it was kept there at home and I was available with not much to do during the summer vacations. Later when I read it, when I was in XI, I realised what a classic it is. Similarly, I assumed I have yet to get matured enough to understand this book GOST(!!!sounds scary? well it IS.). My dad(i think i should write papa. ok frm next posts. FYI, he likes communist ideology) made me all the more think so as he had liked the book a lot and I, then(wat bout now!!!!!!), used to feel he is much more matured than I.
Khair, before jumping to any strong conclusion such as the title above, I thought lemme give try to the Booker of Bookers winner,The Midnight Children. MAN!!! whata a book it was. Each and every page till the 100th one was read by me just for the reason that it was supposedly GR8 work of literature. Then comes The Moor's Last Sigh by the same author. Again left incomplete. It would have been so good on author's part had he left it incomplete instead of readers like me ditching the book without finishing them. Then comes the strong verdict in sucha gross form of generalisation as the title!!! What the heck, if people whose work the whole world waits eagerly to read can write such craps, cannt i write crappier and that too on MY own blog . Haa haa.
Suitable Boy was good and as you all know it didn't even get nominated for Booker Prize!!!!
So, now you know if you wanna win Booker, make sure you get it reviewed by me. If I liked it, drop the idea!!!!!!
Enough of criticism. Lemme now give some tips.
You wanna enjoy reading, that too classics, read ANY Nobel Prize winner. I can generalise on basis of two novels ( Sholokov's And Queit Flows the Don and Solzhenitsyn's Cancer Ward ). I would recommend authors like Tolstoy,Dostoyevsky,Gorky to everybody. They are too good. Beware of Dostoyevsky though!!!
Will come up with some more recommendations though not literature this time, in my next posting. Happy Waiting

4 comments:

  1. I hav read god of small things n i still wonder why it got brooker prize...its one of the most boring book i hav ever read..as for ur guess 2 of them r correct..myself frm NDA,PSC(97-99)and PWC :

    ReplyDelete
  2. Read Midnight Children and you would stop wondering!!! haa haa. you apply logic only where its apt doing that.
    Hhhmmmm... so a nice profile. NDA,PSC,PWC!!!!
    But why PWC from PSC. I thought PSC beats PWC ANYtime, except that guys like me are not allowed in PWC. Switched over to Arts, is it?
    Just a year junior to me in PSC!!!!
    Bio or Maths?

    ReplyDelete
  3. man, you have read some pretty serious stuff!! time i caught up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. buddy, the problem now is that i dont like reading frederick forsyth, leon uris and even tom clancy as just coz i know they write fiction, i feel its wastage of time and that i feel is bad. but i m sure if i try one more of dostyevsky after the idiot(still ok, in fact GOOD) and the brothers karmazov (my dad also may fail, i guess, or maybe he only can) i would be back to crichton and mclean!!!!!

    ReplyDelete