Saturday, April 16, 2005

World history/politics: Some nice books

The book Exodus by Leon Uris gave a very much Schwarzenegger ( FYI, i googled to get the spelling!!) movie kind of impresssion about the Israeli heroes who fought for asserting their independence (not for winning it!!!). I thought it must be exaggerated as Leon Uris is no Collins and Lapierrie. He writes fictions. What the book did it that it made me buy the only documentary left by my favourite pair of authors, Dominique Lapierrie and Larry Collins and that was O Jerusalem .
Is Paris Burning is a marvel.
Thats what I thought, but till then I had not read ANY of the other books authored by these two. With so lucid description of WW2 history, and in particular, France's occupation by Nazis for 4 years, it immensely helped my knowledge of WW2 and history in general and most importantly introduced me to two brilliant authors.
City of Joy is a joy to read. Again the beautiful description. The BEST thing I like about them is they give you just facts but how to make that interesting is something our journalists should learn (definitely Durga Das was there).
Similarly Freedom at Midnight for those who want to know some detailed story behind Indian Independence struggle and who missed that b'coz he/she didn't like the boring history classes( I liked them though. not the class, but the books).
But NOTHING beats O Jerusalem and I bet my blog on it. Do read it. Authors have done marvellous job and so have the characters in the book. One cann't help wondering if whats all written is true. Read it to feel it. Us has definitely helped Israel a lot but it wont hv done what David Ben Gurion, Golda Meir, Moshe Dayan and the innumerable others who went into oblivion of history did for their own country. I hope we indians could learn from them.
On the indian politics side, i might have not read many, but the best has been India from Curzon to Nehru by Durga Das. The ex-editor of Hindustan Times has written a gem of a book in the form of this piece. Its not the general newspaper stuff but from the journalist who witnessed many things form quite close range. The epilogue covers some period of Indira Gandhi also. People of our generation should read it. If we want India to shine, we need to know our own history (not the medieval or ancient, but the modern politics and all that which has shaped the things of present) to have a better future.
Comments eagerly awaited to improve my blog and my choice of articles. Being an engineer, I know the importance of feedback very well.

(PS:my recommendations are highlighted)

7 comments:

  1. Anand-ji,
    One click on your site and it is clear you are going to have a good time in Noida.
    Best of luck, man! And welcome to bloggdom.

    anant

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading "freedom at midnight", "is paris burning?", "O jerusalem" as well as "Five minutes past midnight"!
    ~Gans
    sailingboat.blogspot

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Anant. Good that I got my blog up before leaving TI. This would make sure we remain in touch, if mails/chat/../.. fail (In my last mail from TI, I'll give my gmail id and write similar thing analogous to e-mail!!!!)
    No, but dont get too excited, i'll keep in touch :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Anant for nice words about me. lo...ng since i gave anybody a chance to do that. but u didn't wait for that. good, else your might have kept wating!!!!.
    On equally serious note, your blog is NICE buddy. (bartering, r v?? ).
    HeY, u no wat, i had to learm some html (for the initiated, pls sont laaf, this itself was BIG deal for me) to make my page look so simple!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. at last some books i have read!!! guess i am not so illeterate after all!!!

    leon uris does exaggerate a lot. but still his books are worth reading, they do contain a lot of historical info presented through fiction. he writes mostly about jews. my recommendation is the Trinity which is about the irish. in general most leon uris books are interesting though.

    don't know the details about your job changing decision. was pretty surprised when i heard about it on thursday. do elaborate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hmmm U hav very good choice in books although I hav only read one of them city of joy ( i m feeling so illitrate :(...anyways will try reading all of them..btw i switched to PWC coz the course which i was taking is not available in PSC..no I didnt switch to arts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wonder what course it might hv been. khair.
    And, thanX for the appreciation. These are really nice books, read them. Keep enjoying the weekends!!!!
    hope ppl. like my next funny article.

    ReplyDelete