Wednesday, April 20, 2005

I have got @IDs

I have made it a point to post something on my blog daily (and I'll honour this commitment with all sincerity till it breaks!!!! :-) )
So, here it is, an impromptu one.
What did u guess? Its not going to be revelation like that of Arthur Ashe or Magic Johnson.
Its just that I was wondering if generaly junta have as many email ids or a few poor souls like me only have. I started with mailcity (other than the email address we were provided with in college). Got the id I asked for (y not, afterall I am talking of the time way back in august,1998)agaurav. Then few months later,I came to know something about yahoo chat. Let there be agaurav@yahoo.com. But if I beat that "agaurav" in catching hold of the same id in mailcity, he beat me here in yahoo. I didnt know at that time that the general protocol , jo "badde" log follow karte hain, is name.surname for ids. So, what does poor me do. Appends 009 (My school roll number) to agaurav and I got it. Thankfully there was not much rush for james bond style ids. Then followed hotmail, again for chat reasons. again agaurav009 worked. Then there appears indiatimes.com, a website as steamy (rather much more) as its parent newspaper's page3. To browse thorugh its picture gallery , one needed indiatimes id. Thanks to IITK cybercafe (err... sorry, I mean Computer Centre), again same id was created for indiatimes. It was put to maximum use!!!!
After so many ids, managing them bacame a task. Finally I decided on ignoring all other and remaining loyal to mailcity which had id representing my identity and no crossbreed of Anand Gaurav(agaurav) and James Bond(009(forget 007)). Things went on fine till mailcity sold itself to lycos ( differently said, lycos bought mailcity). I had to fan out mails to everybody that my id has changed to agaurav@lycos.com.
So far so good. Some years later, comes the announcement from yahoo about it increasing the space for each user from 10MB to 100MB. Out poor old lycos stuck (still stuck!!!!!) to 5MB. My loyalty got a shake (20X improvement!!) and with no remorse, me moved to yahoo and again fanned out mail about the switch. Barely few months and comes gmail with a novel idea and 1GB space!!!!! The novel-idea about the way of its expansion and craze for it was more of a reason than the space and I somehow got an invitation from a friend of mine and thence yours truly has his 100% loyalty to gmail as agaurav009@gmail.com
Lets seee who beats gmail and pulls me to its side.
So, now you know I have got @IDs

3 comments:

  1. so do i.....wrik99 / wrik @ anything.com & you'll find me there!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks to my unique name nobody's beaten me in this ID race :)..neha_niharika.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must admit the name is nice. Well you r bihari and you dont have a surname!!!!
    Lemme devote my next posting to this :)

    ReplyDelete